A financial award given to a student usually on the basis of academic achievement, merit and promise. Some scholarships are also based on the status of the student’s financial need.
Where can I find scholarships that I qualify for?
You can often locate useful information at your own high school or college. The college’s Financial Aid or Scholarship Office is another place you can find listings of local scholarships for which you may be qualified. Lastly, there are numerous online databases that will assist you in figuring out what scholarships you are best suited for. Below are a few sites you can visit:
How do I apply?
After reading through the scholarship information and deciding you would like to submit your application, there will usually be a section to inform you on what is needed to apply for the scholarship. This usually includes: how to turn in your application, what requirements you must meet in order to be considered, and any other documents that need to be submitted such as an essay or letters of recommendation. Lastly, always check to see what the scholarship deadline is so that you can make sure to turn it in by that date.
CLCIK HERE for more information about applying.
The California Hotel & Lodging Association Education Foundation provides funding and assistance to individuals studying in the field of hospitality and the California institutions that offer hospitality training as well as for related activities which further research and knowledge in the field of hotel management with respect to the lodging, hospitality, and food service industries.
CLICK HERE TO OPEN THE APPLICATION
Please review the following guidelines prior to completing an online application.
- All applicants should be California residents.
- All of our scholarships are self-nominated. This means you can apply directly for our scholarship – your school does not need to be affiliated with CH&LAEF and you do not need to be nominated.
- Applicants who are solely interested in culinary arts will not be eligible for a scholarship.
- Applicants who are solely interested in general venue event planning will not be eligible for a scholarship.
- An interview will be required, either in-person or via video conference.
- Scholarships awarded up to a value of $2000 for one academic year, to successful applicants.
- Each general scholarship is for one academic year. Recipients may apply annually as a new applicant, and are encouraged to do so.
- To be considered, all materials must be submitted to CH&LA by the deadline.
- The online application must be completed and submitted with the following:
- A current resume of education, work experience and other relevant information normally found on a resume used when applying for a job.
- A copy of the transcript of classes completed and grades at your current school and the classes currently being taken. The transcript may be downloaded from the school website.
- A one-two page letter of personal description and career aspirations. Include information you consider relevant to receiving this scholarship, such as: work experiences, career aspirations, reason for choosing lodging industry, etc.
- A professional reference from an employer, or a letter from a teacher or professor (none of whom can be a relative).
General Scholarship Awards (up to $2000)
The General Scholarship is a merit-based program designed to reward those who have demonstrated a desire to make the lodging industry a career, and applied to or are enrolled in an accredited two or four year college or university program of lodging management. The General Scholarship provides recognition and financial assistance to those who desire a lodging industry career in California. Scholarships will be paid directly to the students in two equal installments each academic year.
Requirements for General Scholarships:
- Students must be attending an accredited 2 or 4 year college or university in California and pursuing an associate or bachelor degree in hospitality & tourism management.
- Must have been a designated hospitality/tourism management major for at least one semester or quarter prior to applying for a scholarship.
- Must be enrolled in at least 12 units at the time the application is made.
- Have earned a 2.75 overall GPA for all semesters or quarters completed and/or a 3.0 GPA for all hospitality and tourism management courses completed.
- Preference will be given to students who have verifiable hospitality industry work experience beyond required internships.
Kevin Johnson Memorial Scholarship Award ($1500 per year x 4 years)
The Kevin Johnson Memorial Scholarship is intended specifically for students enrolled in high schools which have active lodging management programs – either National Academy Foundation programs or the Hospitality & Tourism Management Program developed by the Education Institute of the American Hotel & Lodging Association. The purpose of this scholarship is to recognize those schools and provide incentives to the scholarship recipients to continue with their education and seek employment in the lodging industry.
Requirements for the Kevin Johnson Memorial Scholarship:
- Must be a high school senior currently enrolled in an active lodging management program (National Academy or Lodging Management Program/Hospitality & Tourism Management Program).
- Must have a 3.0 or better GPA.
- Must have verifiable proof of upcoming enrollment in a 2 or 4 year accredited college or university in California, pursuing an associate or bachelor degree in hospitality industry.
The recipient of this scholarship must submit transcripts at the beginning of each academic year. An essay or interview may be required to verify hospitality career path.
CLICK HERE TO OPEN THE APPLICATION
The American Culinary Federation Education Foundation
The American Culinary Federation Education Foundation, with the support of the American Academy of Chefs (AAC), offers educational scholarships to high school students, college students, apprentices and professional chefs looking to further their education.
How to Apply:
Review scholarship and grant application for eligibility and application procedures. Applications must be submitted with all supporting documentation by the deadline listed on the application. Only complete applications will be considered by the scholarship review committee. Only students enrolling or enrolled in American schools may apply. Applications may be e-mailed to email@example.com or mailed to:
180 Center Place Way
St. Augustine, FL 32095
For more information, or to apply, visit the AMERICAN CULINARY FEDERATION EDUCATION FOUNDATION.